The Maryland Department of Education (MSDE) has defined full and partial day attendance as follows:
- A student is counted present for a full day if the student attends four hours or more of the school day.
- A student is counted present for half day if the student is in attendance for at least two hours of the school day, but less than four hours.
- A student is counted absent for the day if they are in school less than two hours.
- A student scheduled for less than a full day is to be counted present based on the amount of time he/she is scheduled.
- The school must receive a note from the parent or physician explaining the absence/tardiness of a student within two school days of the student's return or the absence/tardiness will be unlawful/unexcused. We cannot accept notes written by siblings. When submitting a note regarding your student’s absence, please include the student's FULL NAME, including first and last name. Many students have the same first name. Please do not use nicknames. Please include a phone number where you can be reached for questions.
- A doctor's certificate is required in cases of long-term absence due to illness. A note should also be submitted to request early dismissal or exclusion from activities (e.g., physical education). Chronic absences are referred to the Office of Student Services.
- If you are planning an extended absence due to travel, please submit the Extended or Discretionary Absence form in advance, which can be found here: https://www.hcpss.org/f/aboutus/absence_request.pdf.
- If the request is for 15 consecutive days or more, the written request should be submitted 2 weeks in advance. Students with unlawful absences of 10 consecutive school days or more will be withdrawn from school and may be allowed to re-enroll, provided they meet enrollment requirements, upon their return.
- Students returning from lawful absences have an equal number of days to complete make-up work.
- Any student arriving after 8:50am, MUST be signed in by a parent or guardian in the front office.
- In addition to signing your student in, late arrivals for illness or an appointment require a note from the parent or doctor.
- If you need to see your student or pick your student up for early dismissal, we will need to check your identification first. You will then be required to sign your student out of school using our digital system, LobbyGuard.
- Please note, we cannot call your student down to the office before your arrival.
Student absent/tardy notes should be sent your students teacher and to:
Melanie Facchiano, Attendance Secretary
For more information regarding attendance, please see Policy 9010 on the HCPSS website: